The BPS Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS) program is a credential for pharmacists who have met the eligibility criteria below and who in their unique practice ensure the safe, appropriate, and economical use of medications as part of interprofessional treatment teams in a variety of settings, including hospitals and health systems.
The purpose of the BCPS program is to validate that the pharmacist has the advanced knowledge and experience to improve patient outcomes by:
- Optimizing medication use by serving as an objective, evidence-based source for therapeutic information and recommendations.
- Functioning as a member of an interprofessional team providing direct patient care.
- Working with physicians/prescribers in hospitals to design and/or modify patients’ medication therapy regimens.
- Recommending adjustments to dosage or alternate medications when appropriate.
- Working with physicians/prescribers in outpatient settings to optimize medication therapy, and tracking progress and compliance .
- Making suggestions about diet and lifestyle changes to help patients better manage their health.