The BPS Board Certified Nutrition Support Pharmacist (BCNSP) program is a credential for pharmacists who have met the eligibility criteria below and who in their unique practice address the care of patients receiving specialized nutrition support, including parenteral (IV) or enteral (feeding tube) nutrition.
The purpose of the BCNSP program is to validate that the pharmacist has the advanced knowledge and experience to optimize patient outcomes by:
- Promoting the maintenance and/or restoration of optimal nutritional status through design and modification of individualized treatment plans.
- Providing direct patient care, including patient assessment, type of feeding design, clinical monitoring, dosing of specific nutrients, and compatibility issues.
- Identifying unusual nutrient deficiencies to guarantee the safety of the patient.
- Ensuring that parenteral and enteral feeding formulations are properly prepared and administered.
- Monitoring and maintaining the patient’s nutritional status during the critical transition to a care facility or home.