The BPS Board Certified Nuclear Pharmacist (BCNP) program is a credential for pharmacists who have met the eligibility criteria below and who in their unique practice seek to improve and promote public health through the safe and effective use of radioactive drugs for diagnosis and therapy.
The purpose of the BCNP program is to validate that the pharmacist has the advanced knowledge and experience to optimize patient outcomes by:
- Managing the procurement, compounding, quality control testing, dispensing, distribution, and monitoring of highly toxic radiopharmaceuticals used for PET scans and other diagnostic procedures.
- Preparing medications and troubleshooting problems with scans.
- Consulting on health and safety issues concerning radiopharmaceuticals as well as the use of non-radioactive drugs and patient care.
- Playing an important role in quality control and cost management by thoroughly testing products before delivery.
- Minimizing error and patient exposure to radiation.
- Identifying whether a patient is on any interfering medications.