The Board of Pharmacy Specialties, the premier post-licensure certification agency, will ensure that BPS Board Certified Pharmacists are recognized within healthcare delivery systems while serving the needs of the public and the pharmacy profession.
The Mission of the Board of Pharmacy Specialties is to improve patient care by promoting the recognition and value of specialized training, knowledge, and skills in pharmacy and specialty board certification of pharmacists. We accomplish this mission by:
- Providing leadership for the profession of pharmacy in the discussion, evolution, direction and recognition of specialty board certification of pharmacists.
- Establishing and promoting, in collaboration with stakeholders, the value of pharmacy specialization and board certification.
- Establishing the standards for identification and recognition of pharmacy specialties.
- Establishing standards of eligibility, knowledge and skills for pharmacists as the basis for board certification.
- Developing and administering a valid process to evaluate the knowledge and skills for recognition of board certified pharmacists.
- Assessing and recognizing the continued eligibility, knowledge, and skills of board certified pharmacist specialist through a valid re-certification process.