Washington, DC – The Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) recognizes that the COVID-19 pandemic has had tremendous global impact and we support and applaud pharmacists for their commitment and care for patients, including thousands of pharmacists who are presently sitting for exams within the April – June Testing Window. After careful consideration and planning, and due to sustained, strong interest, we are excited to announce the following changes to the September – October Examination Window to improve access and scheduling options for candidates:
- The September – October Examination Window will be expanded and remain open from 9/8/2020 through 10/12/2020
- BPS has partnered with its testing vendor, Prometric, to make available a Live Remote Proctoring (LRP) option for the September – October 2020 Examination Window, with certain restrictions*.
LRP allows candidates to test in a place of their choosing (i.e., in their home) using their own computer, rather than at a brick-and-mortar Prometric testing center, while being monitored via webcam by offsite proctors. The LRP option requires candidates to download an application (ProProctor) from Prometric to establish remote access to the candidate’s computer. This application includes Prometric’s test engine software, as well as a lockdown browser to ensure secure test delivery.
As this is a special pilot, BPS reserves the right to discontinue LRP examinations at any time.
- The availability of LRP examinations will be restricted* to candidates from the U.S. and Canada due to a larger candidate pool, a higher prevalence of site closures in North America, as well as reduced seating capacity resulting from social distancing requirements. Candidates outside of the U.S. and Canada will still be able to schedule examinations at available Prometric testing centers.
- LRP examinations will be available for all BPS specialty certifications.
- We encourage applicants to apply now for BPS certification examinations now that the application window is officially open.
- As soon as candidates are approved by BPS to test for the September – October 2020 Examination Window, they will be able to schedule examinations at an available Prometric test center, if they so choose.
- Scheduling for an LRP appointment will open on 7/1/2020.
- Candidates approved for LRP examinations must review and meet all testing requirements, including, access to appropriate technology (i.e., personal computer, webcam, and high-speed internet connection) as well as compliance with unique security requirements. We are presently working to update the BPS Candidate’s Guide with more details about terms and conditions and will post online when available.
- Candidates considering LRP for their September – October test administration should note that special terms and conditions may apply, and to keep checking back for updates at bpsweb.org.
About the Board of Pharmacy Specialties
The Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) was established in 1976 as an autonomous division of the American Pharmacists Association (APhA). The mission of BPS is to improve patient care by positioning BPS Board-Certified Pharmacist Specialists as integral members of multidisciplinary healthcare teams, through recognition and promotion of specialized training, knowledge, and skills for pharmacists in the United States and internationally. Board certification is a recognized credential for determining which pharmacists are qualified to contribute at advanced practice levels given the rigorous standards mandated by BPS board certification and recertification. BPS currently recognizes more than 46,000 pharmacist certifications across 14 specialties.
BPS Media Contact
Senior Manager, Social Media & Content Marketing