FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 2, 2016
Board of Pharmacy Specialties Seeks BCCCP and BCPPS to serve on its Specialty Councils
Specialist Positions Available
Washington, D.C. – The Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) today issues a Call for Nominations for two (2) Board Certified Critical Care Pharmacists (BCCCP) and three (3) Board Certified Pediatric Pharmacy Specialists (BCPPS) to serve on its Critical Care Pharmacy and Pediatric Pharmacy Specialty Councils, respectively.
The term of appointment for BPS Specialty Council members for this call is January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2019. BPS must receive nomination materials by Wednesday, August 31, 2016.
Specialty Councils serve the following purposes:
- To recommend to the Board of Pharmacy Specialties standards and other requirements for certification and recertification of pharmacists in the specialty.
- To develop and administer examinations as required for certification and recertification of pharmacists in the specialty.
- To evaluate the qualifications of individual pharmacists and to submit to the Board of Pharmacy Specialties the names of those pharmacists recommended for certification or recertification in the specialty.
Pharmacists holding BPS Board Certification in the pharmacy specialty area under the responsibility of the Council are eligible to apply.
Prospective Specialty Council members must have at least five (5) years of dedicated experience in the specialty practice area. Specialty Councils should be comprised of pharmacists with extensive practice expertise and a variety of practice settings. Participation on other licensure or certification boards, and experience as an item writer are preferred, but not required. BPS has outlined ideal expertise, practice setting, and experience of prospective Board Certified Pharmacist nominees based on the needs of each Specialty Council for this appointment cycle. Please note that the Specialty Councils strive to maintain a mix of practice expertise and practice setting. As such the needs of each Specialty Council are different and will vary from appointment cycle to appointment cycle. A description of desired characteristics and a link to nomination materials are provided below.
BPS must receive all of the following items NO LATER THAN Wednesday, August 31, 2016.
- *Completed and signed Nomination Form
- *Completed Statement of Interest (300 words or less) — Response to the question: “Why are you interested in serving as a member of the BPS Specialty Council?”
- *Current resumé or curriculum vitae
- *Completed and signed Disclosure and Confidentiality Statement Documents
- *Maximum of two Letters(s) of Recommendation (optional)
*More information including instructions for each element can be found within each of the Nomination Submission Links below.
Desired Characteristics and Nomination Submission Links for each position.
Critical Care Pharmacy – Two (2) BCCCP positions open – Interested candidates should carefully review and consider the qualifications, position duties, responsibilities, and time commitment for a Specialist Member of the Specialty Council as well as the following desired characteristics.
Board Certified Critical Care Pharmacists (Nomination Submission Link)
- Desired Practice Experience: Administration / Management
- Desired Population Focus: Geriatrics, Women’s Health, Pediatrics
- Desired Practice Focus: Cardiology, Drug Information, Emergency Medicine, Gastrointestinal, Hematology/Oncology Supportive Care, Infectious Diseases, Medication Safety/Quality Assurance, Practice Accreditation Systems, Surgery,
- Desired Practice Setting: Acute Care Hospital, Health-system based Setting
Pediatric Pharmacy – Three (3) BCPPS positions open – Interested candidates should carefully review and consider the qualifications, position duties, responsibilities, and time commitment for a Specialist Member of the Specialty Council as well as the following desired characteristics.
Board Certified Pediatric Pharmacy Specialist (Nomination Submission Link)
- Desired Practice Experience: Administration / Management, Biostatistics and Research Methodology
- Desired Population Focus: Adolescents, Neonates
- Desired Practice Focus: Asthma/Respiratory/Cystic Fibrosis, Cardiology, Emergency Medicine, Drug Information, Gastrointestinal, Hematology/Oncology Supportive Care, Infectious Diseases, Medication Safety/Quality Assurance, Practice Accreditation Systems, Surgery
- Desired Practice Setting: Ambulatory Care, Family Medicine / Primary Care / Private Office, Government: Armed Services / FQHC / NIH / Public Health Service, Hospital / Health-system based Setting, Managed Care / Mail Order
BPS anticipates the decision of new Specialist Members to be made by Wednesday, October 12, 2016.
Questions Contact Brian Lawson, BPS Director of Professional Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-429-4116.
About the Board of Pharmacy Specialties
The Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) was established in 1976 as an autonomous division of the American Pharmacists Association (APhA). The mission of the Board of Pharmacy Specialties is to improve patient care and increase awareness of the need for BPS Board Certified Pharmacists as integral members of multidisciplinary healthcare teams through recognition and promotion of specialized training, knowledge, and skills in pharmacy and specialty board certification and recertification of pharmacists throughout the world. Through the rigorous standards mandated by BPS board certification and recertification, the BPS board certified pharmacist stands out as the most qualified to accept today’s expanding professional expectations. Today, more than 26,000 pharmacists are BPS board certified.