Almost 25,000 Pharmacists Worldwide are Now BPS Board Certified
Washington, D.C. – The results of the fall 2015 BPS specialty certification and recertification exams were announced today by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties® (BPS), the premier post-licensure certification organization serving the pharmacy profession. A total of 2,833 out of 4,125 pharmacists passed the exams in the eight specialties currently offered by BPS: ambulatory care pharmacy, critical care pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, nutrition support pharmacy, oncology pharmacy, pediatric pharmacy, psychiatric pharmacy and pharmacotherapy. There are now 24,857 BPS board certified pharmacists worldwide.
“BPS applauds the pharmacists who achieved a passing score on the fall 2015 specialty exams,” said BPS Executive Director, William M. Ellis, MS, RPh. “The public and all healthcare stakeholders should feel confident in the rigor that stands behind the BPS board certification process and know that those pharmacists who are BPS board certified are at the leading edge of patient care.
“Approaching 25,000 board certified pharmacists is an exciting achievement for BPS,” said BPS 2015 Chair, John Pieper, PharmD. “We are pleased with the strong representation in the two new specialty areas – Critical Care Pharmacy and Pediatric Pharmacy. This provides evidence that BPS credentials are sought by an increasing number of pharmacists and recognized by employers and regulators in the United States and abroad. The success of the certification examinations is the culmination of efforts by many who contribute their time and expertise. I want to express my appreciation to our Board of Directors, Specialty Councils and item writers who have supported BPS this past year.”
Fall 2015 Certification and Recertification Exam Results By Specialty
- Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacists (BCACP) – 224 of 371 candidates were certified in Ambulatory Care Pharmacy (60% passing rate).
- Board Certified Critical Care Pharmacists (BCCCP) – 557 of 629 candidates were certified in Critical Care Pharmacy (89% passing rate).
- Board Certified Nuclear Pharmacists (BCNP) – 4 of 6 candidates were certified (67% passing rate) and 3 candidates were recertified in Nuclear Pharmacy (100% passing rate).
- Board Certified Nutrition Support Pharmacists (BCNSP) – 24 of 35 candidates were certified (69% passing rate) and 30 candidates were recertified in Nutrition Support Pharmacy (100% passing rate).
- Board Certified Oncology Pharmacists (BCOP) – 154 of the 289 candidates were certified (53% passing rate) and 23 of 32 candidates were recertified in Oncology Pharmacy (72% passing rate).
- Board Certified Pediatric Pharmacy Specialists (BCPPS) – 287 of 444 candidates were certified in Pediatric Pharmacy (65% passing rate).
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialists (BCPS) – 1,314 of the 2,037 candidates were certified (65% passing rate) and 135 of 155 candidates were recertified in Pharmacotherapy (87% passing rate).
- Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacists (BCPP) – 62 of 84 candidates were certified (74% passing rate) and 16 of 20 candidates were recertified in Psychiatric Pharmacy (80% passing rate).
BPS offers two testing windows each year; one in the spring and one in the fall. Registration for the spring 2016 examinations will open on or about January 12, 2016 and can be accessed through the BPS website at www.bpsweb.org. The spring registration deadline is March 25, 2016 and examinations will be offered from April 21 to May 7, 2016 at over 250 locations worldwide.