BPS Surpasses 20,000 Board Certified Pharmacists
Washington, D.C. – The results of the Fall 2014 BPS specialty certification and recertification exams were announced today by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties® (BPS), the premier post-licensure certification organization serving the pharmacy profession.
A total of 2367 out of 3662 pharmacists passed the exams in the six specialties currently offered by BPS: ambulatory care pharmacy, nuclear pharmacy, nutrition support pharmacy, oncology pharmacy, psychiatric pharmacy and pharmacotherapy. The aggregate passing rate for the Fall testing window was 64.6%. There are now 21,560 BPS board certified pharmacists.
“BPS congratulates all of the pharmacists who achieved a passing score on the 2014 Fall specialty exams,” said BPS Executive Director, William Ellis. “The public and all healthcare stakeholders should feel confident in the rigor that stands behind the BPS board certification process and know that those pharmacists who are BPS board certified are uniquely prepared to meet the continually expanding expectations of healthcare team members and the specialized needs of the patients they care for.”
“Exceeding 20,000 board certified pharmacists is a very important milestone for BPS and this demonstrates that BPS credentials are sought by an increasing number of pharmacists and recognized by employers around the globe.” said BPS 2014 Chair, Sharon Durfee, RPh, BCNSP. “The BPS process is the result of many board certified pharmacists who contribute their time, expertise and strong commitment to patient care; I want to acknowledge our Board of Directors, Specialty Councils and item writers who have supported BPS this past year.”
Fall 2014 Certification and Recertification Exam Results By Specialty
- Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacists (BCACP) – 297 of the 412 candidates were certified for the first time in Ambulatory Care Pharmacy. (72% passing rate)
- Board Certified Nuclear Pharmacists (BCNP) – 5 of 11 candidates were certified for the first time. (45% passing rate) and 1 of 1 who sat for the recertification exam (100% passing rate)
- Board Certified Nutrition Support Pharmacists (BCNSP) – 23 of 43 candidates were certified for the first time (53% passing rate) and 33 of 36 who sat for the recertification exam passed. (92% passing rate)
- Board Certified Oncology Pharmacists (BCOP) – 147 of the 265 candidates were certified for the first time (55% passing rate) and 29 of 37 were recertified by (78% passing rate)
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialists (BCPS) – 1615 of the 2599 candidates were certified for the first time (62% passing rate) and 164 of 174 passed the recertification examination.(94% passing rate)
- Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacists (BCPP) – 40 of 68 candidates were certified for the first time (58% passing rate) and 13 of 16 pharmacists were recertified by (81% passing rate)
BPS now offers two testing windows each year; one in the Spring and one in the Fall. Registration for the Spring 2015 examinations will open on or about January 15, 2015 and can be accessed through the BPS website at www.bpsweb.org. The Spring registration deadline is March 13, 2015 and examinations will be offered from April 23 to May 9, 2015 at over 250 locations worldwide.